Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Healthy Hearty Fall Recipes


Being born and raised in California I have ALWAYS LOVED Spring and Summer, however, since moving to the South, Fall has become my favorite seasons.

Well Fall is here and now I can get back to cooking/experimenting with some warm weather recipes (after 2 years I am still getting used to Summer in the South....who wants to cook over a hot stove in 100 degree temperatures with humidity!?).

On my experimental to do list is...
Tomato Basil Tart (www.sargento.com)

Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min. Serves 6

Ingredients
1 refrigerated rolled ready-to-use pie crust (1/2 of a 15 oz. pkg.)
3 medium plum tomatoes (1/2 lb.) thinly sliced cross wise
1 Tbsp. balsamic glaze
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 3/4 cups (7 oz.) shredded reduced sodium mozzarella cheese, divided

Directions
1. Unroll pie crust on baking sheet. Top with 1 cup cheese, leaving 1. 1/2 inch border around edges for rolling. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer over cheese. Drizzle balsamic glaze evenly over tomatoes; top with basil and remaining cheese.

2. Fold edges of pie crust over filling, tucking and pressing down edges onto tart.

3. Bake on lowest oven rack in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 min or until golden brown. Let stand 15 min. Cut into wedges and serve.

I think this would be yummy with feta cheese

1 comment: